Fracking in the News
Fracking in the Local News
· Critics: Pa. gas data has serious flaws August 21, 2012
· Jobs coming with shale boom August 5, 2012
· Some facts about fracking July 22, 2012
· Drilling for true prosperity June 8, 2012
· For NY farmers, fracking means salvation — or ruin May 21, 2012
· Other articles from the Tribune Chronicle
Fracking in the National News
What Does the Government Have to Say?
· Fracking: Chemicals Used in Hydraulic Fracturing is a 2011 report from the United States House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce.
Pros & Cons of Fracking
· Articles and essays on both sides of the issue from the Opposing Viewpoints research database
· Fracking Controversy Are new natural gas drilling methods safe? From the CQ Researcher database
What is Fracking?
Hydraulic fracturing is a process used in nine out of 10 natural gas wells in the United States, where millions of gallons of water, sand and chemicals are pumped underground to break apart the rock and release the gas.
Scientists are worried that the chemicals used in fracturing may pose a threat either underground or when waste fluids are handled and sometimes spilled on the surface.
· Breaking Fuel from Rock is an interactive illustration from National Geographic.
Ohio Grassroots Organizations
· Athens County Fracking Action Network http://www.acfan.org/
· No Frack Ohio http://www.nofrackohio.com/
· Northwest Ohio Alliance to Stop Fracking http://www.meetup.com/No-Fracking-Way/
· People’s Oil and Gas Collaborative http://ohiogasdrilling.com/